- November 13, 2015
- Comments: 0
- Posted by: Harriet
What is the treatment?
We are here to alleviate the anxiety, fear and phobias of childbirth with clinical therapies. As a woman, it is possible to very much want a baby and be anxious, fearful or phobic about the process of pregnancy and labour. Using clinically recommended therapy – EMDR, I can help you recover from past events or situations that are stirring up negative thoughts and feelings for you in the present. If you have already had an experience which has left you with disturbing or distressing thoughts, images or sensations, EMDR therapy can provide you with relief. Your ability to think and make rational choices and decisions can be restored and you can learn how to relax and release tension.
What are the benefits of the treatment?
- During pregnancy and post-pregnancy, you may have felt alienated or detached from your body and felt exposed and even humiliated with intrusive interventions. You may feel depressed at physical changes or even damage that you have suffered. If you feel shame, helplessness or hopelessness and you are distressed that you no longer feel sensual, sexy or physically in control, we can help you.
- With focused attention on your experience, it is possible to reprocess negative situations you endured. In practical and creative ways you can develop your body confidence – You MATTER! Additionally this may improve your experience of being a mother, partner or employee.
- By giving you skilled attention, I can assist you in recognising how your emotions are linked to your endocrine, immune and nervous systems and teach you how to influence your thoughts and feel safer in your own body
- You can learn to feel more confident and competent about what you can influence and can control
- I can teach you powerful techniques for relaxation
- I can also use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to help you transform your thoughts, feelings and behaviour positively
Who can benefit from the treatment?
- You may be pregnant and feel unsure about the life long commitment of raising a child, particularly if you or your partner have had unhelpful or abusive parenting when you were children. I can explore this with you and being a trained Parent Advisor, Teacher and Nursery Nurse I can offer you strategies,and resources and increase your confidence in your own abilities. With my help you can be the parent you want to be.
- Before or after conception and birth you may think you are going mad and that no one else feels like you do and no one else understands your concerns or preoccupations. You may think you are being watched and judged, and be plagued by insecurity, feelings of anxiety and inadequacy.
- For better or worse, we often fall back upon the beliefs, values, and traditions of our own family. It may be that you need help with understanding and making connections about how your past is unconsciously affecting your attitude about fertility and parenthood.
- Sometimes there are events in our past that we may or may not be aware of to do with family, miscarriages, pregnancies or terminations which contribute to an uncertaint or fearful attitude now. Unresolved, or unexpressed sadness, longing and grief can also be inhibiting your ability to achieve what you most want. You may now think it is important to discuss things which you believe others could not cope with knowing or hearing.
- Sometimes after labour and birth, particularly if a woman has had an unpleasant, anxious or frightening time, the mother, partner, or both may have memories of that setting and situation that are disturbing your ability to regain sexual intimacy. This can be ‘hidden’ for months or years, as tiredness, parenting and working demands can disguise the absence or unwanted changes in your sex life.
- We can help you individually or as a couple to understand, reprocess the intrusive memories, and enable you to rediscover your desire and energy for sexual intimacy.